Good summary.

I should also add that one of those open commands is possibly one of the most
powerful commands in VLC as it allows the user to open pretty much anything, an
audio CD, files on a computer, on a network drive or even an Internet Radio
stream.

> On 25 Dec 2015, at 1:12 PM, Robert Nelson <rsnel...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>

> VLC Media Player Shortcuts
>

> 1. Most used
>
> F Fullscreen
> Space bar - Pause or play movie
> V Subtitles on/off (or s)
> B Audio track cycle
> Ctrl+Arrow Up/Ctrl+Arrow Down Volume
>

> 2. Mouse actions
>
> Double click Fullscreen
> Scroll Volume or Position (see settings)
> Right click Local menu (play controls, audio/video)
>

> 3. Movie Navigation
>
> Ctrl+D Open disc menu
> Ctrl+F Open folder (browse folder menu)
> Ctrl+R/Ctrl+S Advanced open file
> Ctrl+O Open single file(s)
> M Mute and unmute audio
> P Play movie (from the very beginning)
> S Stop movie
> Esc Exit full screen mode
> [+]/-/= Faster, slower, normal
> A Aspect ratio
> C Crop screen
> G/H Decrease subtitle delay / Increase subtitle delay
> J/K Decrease audio delay / Increase audio delay
> Z Change zoom mode
> Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2, Ctrl+3, Ctrl+4 Recent media (in Media - Recent media menu)
> T Show time
> Ctrl+T Goto time
> E Next Frame. Advance forward frame-by-frame
>

> 4. Jump in playback
>
> Shift+Arrow Left/Arrow Right Very short jump (3 seconds)
> Alt+Arrow Left/Arrow Right Short jump (10 seconds)
> Ctrl+Arrow Left/Arrow Right Medium jump (1 minute)
> Ctrl+Alt+Arrow Left/Arrow Right Long jump
>

> 5. Manage VLC, Playlists, and Special Commands
>
> Ctrl+H Hide / unhide controls
> Ctrl+P Preferences/ interface settings
> Ctrl+E Adjustments and audio/video effects
> Ctrl+B Edit bookmarks
> Ctrl+M Open messages
> Ctrl+N Open network
> Ctrl+C Open capture device
> Ctrl+L Open playlist
> Ctrl+Y Save playlist
> Ctrl+I/Ctrl+J Media information
> Alt+A Open audio menu
> Alt+H Open help menu
> Alt+M Open media menu
> Alt+P Open playlist menu
> Alt+T Open tool menu
> Alt+V Open video menu
> Alt+L Open playback menu
> D Show movie path
> N Play next movie from playlist
> F1 Show Help
> F11 Window full-screen (not equal to pressing F)
> Alt+F4, Alt+q or Ctrl+Q Quit VLC
> Shift+S Take a Snapshot / Screenshot

Those of a positive and enquiring frame of mind will leave the rest of the
halfwits in this world behind.