Simon, thanks for the recs. Now, if there were only a way to try these things out before laying one's money down, but guess we all would wish for that. I will give these some thought. They do make them sound quite good.

On 3/3/2016 4:12 AM, goshawk on horseback wrote:
personally, I like the steinberg USB boxes, such as the UR22, or UR28.
these are very high quality, but will not break the bank. the software for
them is relatively accessible with window-eyes, and will also give one a
nice set of adjustment options, for things like sample rate, bit depth, and
buffer size, so that you can tailor it for the best results with any
existing software you are using. the UR22 unfortunately is lacking in any
digital in or out, so if this is a requirement, you may need to go for the
UR28.

Simon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Higgins" <larryhiggin...@comcast.net>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 3:44 PM
Subject: Possible Recommendations for a good USB sound card please

Listers,

I guess that subject line kinda says most of it, but just some
clarification.

I am looking for some suggestions for a reasonably priced USB sound card
without any game audio gimmickry like what I am experiencing with my
Realtek card on my Dell, but a pure audio presentation.

At present, and most likely for the foreseeable future, I will continue
to be using an analog stereo system, so don't need to pay particular
attention to HDMI, or anything related to that.

Would like to have a card with all the appropriate line inputs and
outputs, and with the quality of an audigy, or maybe even better, if
that is indeed possible for a good price. And just as a bonus, I would
like to be able to access the software that comes with it using Window-Eyes.

The only reason I am asking about a USB card is because I don't want to
have to install a regular card. However, if my best bet is to just
forget USB in favor of some real quality, I would be willing to do so.

Of course, I am     primarily acquainted      with Creative Lab cards,
but any other reputable brand would be acceptable.

Thanks for any input,

Larry