Given the battery is a lithium-ion battery it would be pretty standard there. The problem is the molding on the battery to fit the Victor Reader shell. You could try and get cheaper batteries but where these type of batteries are concerned you could be inviting absolute disaster.

I'm sure you've read the reports of batteries catching fire? We're talking about the same kind of batteries as used in the Victor Reader Stream first generation.

If I were you I would consider either of the following options, abandon the Victor Reader Stream first generation entirely and use something else or swallow my pride and buy another battery from Humanware, you might pay a pretty penny but at least you can sleep soundly knowing you have a good quality battery replacement in your device.