From: pca-boun...@lists.univie.ac.at [mailto:pca-boun...@lists.univie.ac.at] On
Behalf Of Dennis Clarke
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:15 PM
To: pca@lists.univie.ac.at
Subject: [pca] question to folks running Oracle Solaris Studio 12 or 12.3

Merely a polite question to anyone out there that still has Solaris
systems doing compile work AND you are still using Oracle Solaris Studio
12 or 12.3 releases.

Has anyone bothered to spend the money for the separate support on
the compiler tools and was it worth the expense as near as you can
tell?

Why?

I see this often in my pca reports and often wonder if I should just
kick out the $1500 that Oracle wants or just use GCC :

root@sunback # grep "Studio" ./pca_data/sunback/patch_report_missing
148921 -- < 11 ---  56 Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3: Patch for Compiler
Common components
148506 -- < 16 ---  57 Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3: Patch for C++ Compiler
148517 -- < 08 ---  21 Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3: Patch for fortran
compiler 8.6
148902 -- < 05 ---  99 Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3: Patch for Solaris
SunOS 5.10 Performan
148917 -- < 07 ---  99 Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3: Patch for Oracle
Solaris C Compiler
148922 -- < 09 ---  21 Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3: Patch for dbx 7.9
148928 -- < 02 --- 198 Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3: Patch for IDE
148931 -- < 03 --- 216 Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3: Patch for Performance
Library

Not sure why Oracle separated out the compilers from the normal support
contracts. Other than to get an additional 0.01% revenue from the one
person in 10,000 that still has these things running.

Anyways, wonder if anyone has seen any benefit or is it just another
waste of money to Oracle.

Dennis Clarke

Notice of Confidentiality
This transmission contains information that may be confidential. It has been
prepared for the sole and exclusive use of the intended recipient and on the
basis agreed with that person. If you are not the intended recipient of the
message (or authorized to receive it for the intended recipient), you should
notify us immediately; you should delete it from your system and may not
disclose its contents to anyone else.

This e-mail has come to you from Towers Watson Delaware Inc. or Towers Watson
Pennsylvania Inc.