I am finding that on a small minority of our Solaris 10 systems, as I am
attempting to install the latest OpenSSL patch (148071-13), that the
installation sometimes fails, with the following output:

bash-3.2# pca -i --no-safe 148071-13
Using /var/tmp/patchdiag.xref from Jan/27/14
Host: pvd-mgt-52 (SunOS 5.10/Generic_150400-07/sparc/sun4v)
List: 148071-13 (1/0)

Patch  IR   CR RSB Age Synopsis
------ -- - -- --- ---
148071 12 = 12 RS- 355 SunOS 5.10: openssl patch

Looking for 148071-13 (1/1)
Found patch directory

Installing 148071-13 (1/1)
Running patchadd

Validating patches...

Done!

Done!

The following requested patches do not update any packages installed on
the system
No Packages from patch 148071-13 are installed on the system.

No patches to dependency check.

Failed (exit code 1)

Failed (15:19:55/00:00:01/00:00:02, 1/1, 0/0/1)
---
Download Summary: 1 total, 0 successful, 1 skipped, 0 failed
Install Summary : 1 total, 0 successful, 0 skipped, 1 failed

--

I have found, though, that subsequent attempts may succeed with no notable
change in the system configuration or to the pca configuration.

The only error that appears in logs regarding this simply reports error
code 1 (usage error):

Jul  1 15:19:55 pvd-mgt-52 pca be [local7.info] [ID 702911 local7.info]
Failed to install patch 148071-13 (SunOS 5.10: openssl patch) rc=1

It occurs to me that this may be related to how we use pca.  We have a
server set up that our systems pull the patches from and the
patchdiag.xref from so that we keep patching consistent across machines,
but I do not have the openssl patch incorporated into that, as I did not
find any way to add a single patch to the xref data without adding every
other patch that's come down the line since our last patch refresh.

The system I pulled this from, replicating it only after trying on three
other machines that suddenly decided to install the patch, is running u11:

Oracle Solaris 10 1/13 s10s_u11wos_24a SPARC

But the others systems are running a variety of different releases.

Any thoughts on how I might diagnose this further?

Cheers!

Phredd Groves
--
system administrator