hi,
may I join you in that discussion?
I understand now that the Gem package in the pd-extended is built for nvidia support and does not run without a nvidia card. correct? But what I want to know is, (I don't know so much about configure scripting..) when I build my own Gem and have NO nvidia card, will I have to type --disable-NV? that would not make sense to me...
I would like to compile my Gem later today. so thnx for answers.
marius.

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

Since many people have non-nvidia cards, would it be possible to make
the default Gem build not dependent on nvidia-specific stuff?  Then
there could be --enable-nvidia for people who want that.

no.
as said before, i see (!) configure as a way to build a package
optimized for the machine that configure is executed on.
it is not a tool to make the most stripped down version.

if you want configure to create a most generic package, then you will
have to pass arguments to it (e.g. "--disable-NV")

When building packages (.deb, .tar.gz, whatever), its much more
important that it run on all machines, than its very well optimized on
specific machines.  Later, it would be possible to add a pd-gem-nvidia
package, etc. etc.

this is correct, but as said above, configure is not necessarily the
tool to create packages that run on all machines.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes