Basically, we are trying to come up with a whole collection of fundamental building blocks for mapping controller data to something being controlled. It need not only be for music, but that's my background. Cyrille has a broader background in terms of mapping than I. While we use these objects with controllers and sensors, there is nothing that ties them to such uses. They could be used for any situation where you want to manipulate ranges of data.

Here's the academicese version:

http://nime.org/2006/proc/nime2006_106.pdf

Abstract

Mapping has been discussed for decades, yet there is not a standard catalog of mapping methods. The Mapping Library for Pd is a fledgling library of mapping primitives with the aim of cataloging existing mapping methods. Also included are techniques for conditioning sensor data to make it usable in the context of instrument design.

.hc