On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Frank Barknecht wrote:

Hm, but mostly there is, at least "kind of": The hot left-most inlet
corresponds to the right-to-left triggering of many objects.

Yeah, but I was mostly commenting on internal structure of pd. "sending to the left inlet" means the same as "sending to the object itself"; whereas there does not exist a "sending from the object itself" that is equivalent to sending through a certain outlet, although you can send messages without any outlet, just like what [s] and semicolon messageboxes do, but that's another thing.

It's likely because of the nice symmetry in the following common idiom
to get inter-onset intervals:
[t b b]
|     |
[timer]
[timer] (and its relatives to some extent) is an object that is used
in a hot-to-cold fashion more often than in the cold-to-hot direction
common with most other objects like [pack] etc.

What's the problem with just having crossing wires and consistent semantics? Crossing wires have to happen all of the time anyway.

I think that what you claim is a common idiom for [timer] is more than correct, as it would only output 0 if plugged the other way, but for [cputime] and [realtime]... I can very well imagine making plenty of them cross-wired, meaning what would've been straight-wired if those objects were more normal.

I think that this special inlet ordering does more harm than good.