Is it out of the question simply to use the OSS MIDI API?  That should
be the default, and it's much less buggy than the ALSA one.  (Apparently,
though, there's sometimes a good reason to use teh ALSA one instead, I
remember vaguely.)

To put out "sysex" MIDI, theoretically in either ALSA or OSS, send the
bytes out serially, as in "247, NN, NN, 240", not in a list as in
"247 NN NN 240".

cheers
Miller