> Ah, ok, I get it, the text in the msg boxes is basically the same as the
> text in the qlist file.  That makes sense, and in the context of [qlist] I
> think it makes sense to teach about [; foo( sends.  But I don't think that
> [qlist] is an essential object, especially for newbies.  I am not saying to
> avoid it, I have covered it.  But personally, I almost never use it.  I find
> it easier to use [textfile] and write my own timing code.  You can be a
> pretty advanced Pd user and not have to use semi-colons in message boxes.
>
> IMHO, semi-colons in messages boxes are no doubt useful, but they are not
> essential.  In the interests of spreading out the learning of the concepts
> in Pd into as many stages as possible, I think it makes sense to avoid using
> semi-colons in messages boxes except in contexts that they are
> indispensible.  So when learning about [qlist], for example, semi-colons in
> message boxes should definitely be covered.
>
> Outside of those contexts, I think that overall, Pd users will be better
> served by avoiding their use.

I would have a hard time signing up for this program.  A lot of things
in Pd (and any programming language) are useful but inessential.

IMO the send/receive binding in messages is essential if you want to
understand how Pd is organized.  A lot depends on the kind of student
you're working with -- many of them don't feel comfortable with things
unless they see some kind of "big picture" -- for those students, they
would be comforted by the fact that message boxes can store "send"
messages, as well as [qlist] files, the text in .pd files, etc.
Eventually students will need to learn this stuff, so the occasional

| pd dsp 1 \

serves as a handy reminder rather than a detriment to readability.

Part of the problem is that [; foo( is a misnomer.  It's

| ;    /
| foo \

This is the only way the syntax is clear.

My vote for style goes for which makes the most sense in (often very
complex) context.

Matt