I probably haven't described the space particularly well, I attach a picture
to hopefully explain a little clearer.

It's a 'swarm' of [msd] masses and links, with only the masses visible.  The
swarm is in a zero gravity space so they just float around.  The space
receives bangs/force at various points on the x-y grid triggered by an
accelerometer attached to the performers instrument.  So the swarm is in
constant motion, sorry if that wasn't clear.

At the moment I'm just using the coordinates on the x plane of each mass,
which msd handily spits out.  I have patched in the option of using the y
coordinates but I haven't used them as of yet.  Each mass controls the pan
position of a partial (of which there are 48) from the instrumentalist and
fed into [sigmund~].So the pan position of each mass/partial is slightly
different in the (currently) stereo field across 0-1.

Hope that helps,

Jb