On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 8:13 AM, anatoly techtonik <techto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The only problem with pkg-config is that it is a pain on Windows that
> comes with 200Mb of different Unix dependencies. But.. looks like
> thing got better for Python https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pykg-config/1.3.0

I use it on Windows all the time.  As I mentioned, I use the pkgconf
version.  It has no significant dependencies and no circular
dependencies like the GNU version.  I sent the pkgconf project the
initial patches to get it working on Windows.  I have the Windows
executable for pkgconf if anyone needs it.  I run it on Linux and BSD
as well.  I've even been able to build it for DOS (djgpp).  Haven't
had any problems and it greatly simplifies the task of finding where
libraries are and switching between different versions of libraries.
I have build scripts for several libraries.  Many provide their own
.pc files, but if they don't I just add a line or two to my build
tool's scripts and it autogenerates a .pc file for me.