Maybe I don't understand this . . .

As I understood it, the old K mount lenses would work fine with a new
APS sensor with a 1.5 or so factor.  The new new digital lenses would
not work with the 35 mm film cameras (old or new) becuase of lack of
coverage.  This seems OK to me.  Pentax will produce some uniquely
digital lenses so that they can make wide angle digitals for a
reasonable price.  They can still make 35 mm lenses for film cameras
(and digitals.)  the big loss might be R&D money diverted to these new
"D" lenses which won't go to 35 mm film research.

I think that there may be some realization that only the APS sized
sensor is going to be economically viable in the near future (10 years)
so that the MFG's want to get some stuff out there in a lower price
range.  I really think they are all aiming for a sub $1000 DSLR.

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450