Correct.

> Well, if the answer is
> yes, then
> please answer the following:
>
> Consider a conventional fill-flash setting. I first metered
> the scene on
> Program mode. Then I set the same exact settings manually
> (now in M mode).
> Then I flip on the flash unit.  Initially, the compensation
> bar graph
> stays at zero as expected. But as I turn the comp. dial to
> the negative
> side (less flash?) the bar graph goes up (towards the over
> exposure side).
> Is this supposed to happen?

Yes.

The camera is still metering for the ambient light. You've set the
sperture/shutter speed for a correct ambient exposure. If you dial
in -1, the camera is telling you that the manual settings will give
you a stop more than the -1 setting on the dial.

In other words, you've told the camera you want to underexpose by -1,
and it's telling you you're a stop over -1, which is just what you
want.

Maybe the confusing part is that you expect the meter bar graph to
line up at -1. It's not. It's going to line up in the middle, the
difference being that the middle value is -1.

Now when you hit the shutter, the flash/camera doesn't care about your
manual settings, it's going to shut the flash off when it senses it's
hit -1.

Therefore the ambient exposure will be correct, the flash will be a
stop below.

tv