In practice, it all means that you would need a small extension tube (or set
of tubes) to use the Auto Bellows with the MZ-S.

The Auto Bellows allows for a minimum extension of about 37mm.  Another 8 mm
would make that 45 mm.  They provide a maximum extension of about 163 mm, and
the additional 8 mm you would add are no problem here... just bring the
bellows in the extra 8 mm.

The only remaining question is whether the MZ-S baseplate is big enough to
get caught on the bottom rail of the Auto Bellows.  This would limit some of
the functionality of the bellows, which is different from working with a lens
and extension tubes.

With a lens and extension tubes, you use your feet/body to move in and out,
back and forth while you focus until you have the image size (magnification),
framing, and focus you want.  It is a two part process, because anytime you
turn the macro lens to focus it, you also change the magnification you are
getting.  So you do a little dance until everything is just right.

With the bellows, you use the back (camera end) adjustment to move the film
plane back and forth to focus.  This doesn't change the magnification/image
size, it just brings it into focus.

You still do some of the gross moves in/out, back and forth to rough things
out, but you set the image size and composition by fixing/finding the subject
to front lens distance.  Once you have that established, you just dial in the
back end of the bellows until the focus is right.  If you want to focus 1 mm
deeper into the object, you fine adjust the whole rail on the tripod (lens -
bellows - camera) by 1 mm closer to the subject.  The image size
(magnification) and framing stay the same.

There are probably some combinations of lens - extension - magnification
which are lost when you can't do 37 mm to 45 mm of bellows extension, but I
don't think they amount to much.  Apologies for the long winded explanation.

Regards,  Bob S.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  It means that your bellows is going to be 10 mm farther away the film plane
>  than it would be without the tube. In other words the bellows will stop
>  short by 10 mm at the closest distance to the film plane and go out 10 mm
>  further than before. So unless you have, for some reason such as the size
of
>  your subject, to work from a fixed position, it won't make any difference
at
>  all.
>
>  Don
                 <<snip>>