Message text written by INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>I can see from my 35mm 100 speed film
negs that the 2400 dpi scanner I'm using
is inadequate. Will 4800 ppi settle the
matter once and for all or should I be waiting
until 6400 or 7200 ppi scanners arrive to upgrade?
JCO<

at 4000 dpi, the Provia 100F and Kodachrome 25 scans i make show grain as
most of the detail i get. since scanning at odd multiples or submultiples
of the optical resolution slows down the scan to do the software
interpolation, i leave my scanner set to 4000dpi. that plus i prefer to
scan once at maximum useful resolution and color depth to work with the
images from there on my computer, making backup or variations files as
necessary. i find that increased color depth is very nice to have during
the time i am making initial adjustments, but at over 100MB per image, it
takes up a lot of disk space. also, many Photoshop features don't work in
16-bit/channel mode.

Herb...