Andre,

First of all what are your specimens going to be like. Sections of plants?
Small solid objects? Seeds, shells, tiny animals, micro-organisms, insects,
pollen grains (these are great, often having beautiful sculptured detail on
the surface), protozoa? A microscope suitable for a blood smear, animal
tissue sections, bacterial cultures, protozoa and the like would be a
transmission instrument with a condenser of NA 1.4 and a set of objectives
say 4X, 10X, 40X and 100X oil immersion; two pairs of eyepieces - 8x and 12X
would do - very expensive purchase indeed.

If you want to take pictures of small solid objects, say between 0,1 mm and
10 mm in size a stereo microscope would be suitable. The barrels of these
instruments have a diameter of 33 mm - Leitz, Zeiss, Wild, Reichert,
Olympus, Nikon and such, are all the same. Pentax will make an adaptor for
this size as well as one for transmission instruments which are smaller - 26
mm.

Transmission microscopy always involves the preparation of the specimen in a
laboratory. It's not something that can easily be done by a beginner. Using
a stereo microscope is much easier, you can use it to look at anything that
will fit on the stage, or not if you have the right support. Limited
transmission is also possible. But remember this - at final magnifications -
more than about 5X you will have hardly any depth of field. There are ways
around this problem, but all are very complicated and expensive. A Wild M1,
a simple student instrument will give a range of magnifications from about
5X to 80X and be the most suitable for a start. You'd need good lights, at
least two and a couple of reflectors perhaps. Most labs use halogen lamps
with fibre optic light guides these days - expensive things. But tell us
what you have in mind. If you don't know, as I didn't when I first started
this at 15, it can be frustrating.

Cheap Chinese or Russian microscopes should be avoided at all costs. The
good ones will cost a few thousand dollars, but for a few hundred you might
get a nice instrument on eBay - a Wild or Leitz with a couple of sets of
eyepieces and a magnification range of 5X to 250X. I saw one a while back.
There was also a Nikon transmission instrument, starting at a few hundred
dollars that was, in my opinion, worth at least $5000. The seller had no
idea what he was dealing with and thought the small bottle of immersion oil
in the case was for "cleaning lenses". By the way, the mechanical parts of a
microscope are very important. If it shakes, or the focussing mechanism has
backlash, or the optical system doesn't line up, you can forget it. It would
be like using a pair of binoculars with a loose prism.

Remember this though: the results will always be a bit disappointing. What
you see with two eyes is always more impressive than a picture taken through
one of the tubes.

Don

Dr E D F Williams

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams