Jostein wrote:

> Cotty,
> the Manfrotto 055 comes with a 3-way head as standard also. I've got
> one as a spare for my Sachtler.

I didn't know Manfrotto tripods came with a head.  Mine [also 055] didn't
when I boughti it a couple of years ago.  I added an 029, the big 3-way
head with those hexagonal quick-release plates.  I subsequently bought a
168 ball head which takes those same plates.  I fitted that head to my
monopod.

> There are at least three variants of the 055. One plain, one with camo
> colours and padded grip areas on the legs, and one with an option to
> attach the center column sideways (great for macros).

I think there's also the silver vs black option as well.  The one with
the sideways centre column option is the 455, if I remember correctly.
It was released not long after I purchased my 055 :(

> It's a very popular tripod in this country amongst nature
> photographers, because it gives a reasonably good performance at an
> acceptable weight.

I second this.  It will hold a medium format camera quite comfortably,
without being cumbersome.  The leg locking mechanisms may or may not be
to your liking.

Cotty, is the tripod for your video camera too big?

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/