I don't know about that. I'm convinced that some folks start photography
with an innate sense of composition. Whether they were born with it or
developed it via some other conduit which they have long forgotten, I don't
know. From your posts, I suspect you are one of these blessed people. The
rest of us mortals, however, need help. Perhaps it would be more palatable
if we called them starting suggestions instead of rules?

Since I am not a great musician, nor am I a golfer or a poet, and since such
examples are given, I feel free to use as an example something I am a master
at, high power shooting. There are rules: proper stance or position, proper
orientation, proper clothing, proper gun handling and placement, proper use
of the sling, sight picture, breathing - even timing for heartbeat, trigger
control, considerations for (doping) the wind and for the best, mind control
(some call it chi). I was worse than mediocre until I started using the
tools. Each one can produce a serious increase in score. I am no longer
conscious of using most of the rules (some of which I've had to modify - for
me). After years of practice, they've become pretty much a second nature.
Damn good thing to. If I had to bring all of them to mind with every shot,
I'd probably never finish in time and for sure I'd slack off on one while I
concentrated on another. Frankly, it's like learning to drive a manual shift
car. At first you consciously try to apply the rules correctly (push in
clutch, pull out of gear to neutral, place in next gear, don't bang it, let
the synchronizers work, let up the clutch until it catches, give some gas -
not too much, not too little, don't let it slip it to much or the clutch
will wear unnecessarily, thank god I got to second gear! Now for third! Well
I don't think about any of that any more. I'm still applying the rules, but
unconsciously and, of course, much more smoothly. Sometimes I have to
deviate. Sometimes there's no time to wait for the synchronizers.

The point is that you're right. Great golfers no longer think about the
angle of their shin-bone or whatever, they just do it. Nevertheless you can
bet your sweet ass that Tiger Woods learned the rules somewhere along the
line, modified them to suit himself and made them second nature.

Regards,
Bob....
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!"
   - Benjamin Franklin

From: "Mike Johnston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>