On 1/13/03 3:36 AM, "Iren & Henry Chu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The sales figures from Jodobashi (which is one of the larger camera chain
> retailer in Japan) suggest differently.  Digital cameras from Pentax seldom
> enter into the top 10:
>
> http://www.digitalcamera.jp/html/yodobashi/yodo-rank.htm
>
> It is very hard to believe that Sony was not included in any of the top 10
> cameras in Takeshita's list.

Hi Folks,

I am aware of the Yodobashi ranking in www.digitalcamera.jp, but it is a
snapshot of sales in any given week.  The list I quoted was map camera's
which covers a longer span of 6 months average of the last year with better
explanation why certain models sold well .  Yodobashi is not the price
leader while the digital camera is currently a price market.   If you see
their ranking in November, for example, Pentax showed up.  Like Sony did not
show up in Map's as a volume sales item, Yodobashi did not show Pentax.
Each store franchise has different promotions but these lists show overall
trend.  But the point was that Pentax Optio series digicam was a big success
in any measure.  Looking through some of the Japanese camera magazines, it
is indeed one of the top sellers in what is called "compact" digicam (i.e.,
P&S) segment.

Cheers,

Ken