Hello,

I wanted to experiment with the low light capabilities of my recently
acquired LX, so last week I went out on a clear night and tried to
take photographs.  The results were a little disappointing, and I'm
hoping that somebody will be able to explain why.

I used the LX in 'automatic' mode with MLU, an SMC-M 28/2.8, tripod and
cable release, and XP2 Super rated at 200 ISO.

When the scenes contained some artificial light, such as car headlamps,
streetlights, etc., the LX got the exposures just about right.  e.g.
10 sec at f/8.  I bracketed +/- 1 and 2 stops, and normally found that
the +1 or +2 images gave negatives that scanned fairly well.

When I tried some much darker scenes, the results were less good.  I
tried pointing the camera into a starlit field, fairly dark, but
trees, fences, etc., were quite easily visible to the eye.  The LX chose
exposures of roughly 30 sec at f/5.6.  Rather short, I think, compared
to some of the suggested exposure tables that I've seen, and sure enough,
the negatives are so badly underexposed as to be useless.

I realise that it might be better to shoot at dusk rather than in near
complete darkness.  One of my problems was that it was almost impossible
to compose shots in the dark, so even the photos that were properly
exposed weren't very good. :-)

At the moment though, I'm curious about why the exposure seemed to be so
wrong with the starlit landscapes.  The exposures that the LX was choosing
seemed to suggest that it was within the metering range described in the
user manual, yet the negatives are almost completely transparent.  Is it
unrealistic to expect these sorts of shots to work in 'automatic'?  I was
hoping that the LX's super-meter would take some of guesswork out of shots
like this.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice,
Steve.