From David A. Mann:

I've spotted this lens in a local camera shop and I'm just a little
tempted as it would make a nice companion with the LX.  I envisage adding
this lens to my "lightweight snapshooting" kit, which is currently made
of the LX and 35mm f/3.5.
Good idea.

I haven't found a lot of information in my list of bookmarked sites so
I'm looking for general comments from anyone who owns one of these.  Is
its angle of view sufficiently different from a 24mm to justify
purchasing it?
Yes, as far as I'm concerned, but I tend to use it as a complement to a 28mm, a 30mm or even a 40mm (in this case, in a hiking kit where you also find a 85/2 and a few accessories).

How's the sharpness, contrast/flare, distortion, colour rendering, light
falloff, etc?
Sharpness is very good even at full aperture (in the center). Contrast is fine except at full aperture (but I tend to use full aperture in low contrast situation, so...). Flare is, thanks SMC, well controlled. I tried shooting at the sun at the end of an afternoon in such a way that I would get the maximum amount of reflections. These reflections were very acceptable ("clean cut") and did not produce much "general flare". I'm not sure what I say is easy to follow, it's kind of late...

Not much light fall-off at the apertures I tend to use (f7 to f13).

I love this lens and bring it with me most of the time when I travel. If you can have it for a good price, don't think for too long, or it won't be there anymore. It's not easy to find one. The last three I saw sold between 300$ and 400$.

Andre