The Zuiko-G f/1.7 is legend for it's sharpness.
(...)

What's the coating problem? Ghosting, loss of light, flaring?

keith
One solution is to use a shade, which, as you know, is tricky for a RF because you see part of it in the viewfinder. And with an effective tulip hood (made out of plastic Pentax 85/2 hood for example) the camera become about twice as noticeable... Maybe a smaller hood like the old Konica ones (not much wider than the filter ring) could help and keep up with this machine's style.

I only tried this lens one (with Kodachrome 64) and it is... as crisp as a fresh Melba toast. X-acto comes to mind also.

Its spot metering is usefull if one remembers the different reflectance of some colors.

Andre

Mike Johnston wrote:
 > Then there's always the Olympus 35 SP rangefinder, with the Zuiko-G
 > 1.7 lens, widely considered the 'poor man's Leica,' because of it's
 > great optical performance.

 > It may be a "great lens," but the coatings on it are so poor it's almost
 useless IMHO. I'll take a Canon QL-17 GIII any day (and, in fact, did).

 Best coatings, by rank:
 Pentax & Zeiss
 Leica
 Canon
 Nikon
 Olympus (*sucked* until about 1988, when it caught up to C/N)

 --Mike