Unless I have a particular need for a filter, I don't use one.  Most of
us aren't going to spend the $50-70 that a good filter costs just to
protect our lenses.  Your UV filter may have added to your problem if
it was one of the cheap off-brand filters.  As tough as SMC coating is
supposed to be, I have never seen the logic of paying good money for a
top quality lens and then screwing a cheap filter onto it.

Ken

--
Ken Archer Canine Photography
San Antonio, Texas