----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm Smith"
Subject: 40mm 'Pancake' lens.

> Does anyone have any experience of this lens?  Is it a good lens?
>
> It seems to be an ideal lens to make a camera fit in any pocket (!) and
> provide less excuses for not carrying a camera.

I have denigrated the thing in the past as a less than stellar performer,
this is only relative to other Pentax lenses.
It's not especially fast, it is no sharper than a 50mm f/2 (it may be less
sharp, I don't really care), but it has good contrast and isn't flarey.
It makes an ME-Super into a pocket camera, which is nice, and the angle of
view is surprisingly pleasing.

William Robb