> Actually, photojournalists who had previously used Leica discovered Nikon
during the American occupation of Japan, and into the Korean war.
> Pentax was never in the picture.
William Robb

As far as photojournalism is concerned, indeed Pentax never really made it. Although, at some point, as I have read recently (maybe here?), National Geographic and another magazine I don't remember the name, had their staff equiped with Pentax. Probably only for a few years, just before the Nikon F appeared. I guess they were mostly after the long and bright Takumar 500/5, 300/4 and 200/3.5 lenses, that were available a year or two before the Nikon F appeared in autumn 59. Even then, Nikon waited for years before providing their custumers with long lenses: a 200/4 and a 500/5 mirror went out in 1963! That explains why a 200/3.5 Takumar permanently modified for Nikon mount was sold on eBay a few months ago.

Andre