>A 6MP sensor isn't bad - it gives you
> 300ppi on an 8x10 print, which is good enough for many purposes. But
> there's no way this comes close to the resolution obtainable from film.
> I've only got a 2700ppi scanner (the Nikon Coolscan III), but even that
> gives me 20 megapixels from a full frame, or 10 megapixels from the
> central portion.

I need some clarification here:

The film size is 1 inch by 1 and a half (in fact it is a bit less as
> 24mm x 36mm is 0.95" x 1.42"). That makes, at best (at 2700 pixels
per inch) 2700 pixels by 4050 pixels. That is 10,9 megapixels!

Oops -you're right. I lost a factor of two in going from file size to image size.

But with a 4000 dpi scanner (I'm sure we dream about the same upgrade...), you double this result. Taking into account the real 0.95" x 1.42" dimension, it makes 3800 x 5680 = 21,6 megapixels.

That amount of pixels from a Provia might be interesting, not sure about a TMZ.

Andre