I tried to use a few manual focus lenses with my PZ-1 and found it very hard
focus with the default focusing screen that came with the camera. What is a
good
alternative? I am quite used to the split-image and matte (?) screen of the
ME-Super. Are there such screens for PZ-1?

Are such screens seen often in the used market? If yes, for how much?

Contact Pentax and obtain a MZ-M/ZX-M split screen (C-74). Spot meter won't be accurate afterward and you need +1/3EV compensation for centre-weighted. On top of that, non-F/FA lenses require their own compensation when used with the Z-1p so you have to test each of your K/M/A lenses for accuracy.

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan