On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, John Francis wrote:
> > OK, I've read through the last few digests and learned all about how the
> > *istD feels, who would like which knobs in different places and so.  Don't
> > you guys take pictures with those things?
>
> Naah - why would we do that?

I'm taking some photographs, but I just haven't had a chance to put a lot
of them online (and I'm still learning some stuff about this camera and
unlearning old bad habits from my previous camera).

Here is an IR shot that I took today while on a walk in Seattle's
Discovery Park:

http://www.phred.org/~alex/pictures/pentax-ir/olympics-ir.jpg

This was shot with the A 50/1.4 @ f2.8, 1/45, ISO 400, handheld.  All
that I've done is convert it to monochrome and adjust the white and
black points.

The noise in the red channel when working with IR is pretty bad which
is unfortunate, but I'm still pretty happy with the results.  In
monochrome the noise looks more like B&W grain.  It is nice to be able
to get reasonable results while handheld on a bright day.

A photograph that I thought I would like after taking it didn't really
turn out that well upon close inspection.  The DOF was too shallow and
the main subject is slightly out of focus.  It is going to take me a
while to get used to DOF with the larger sensor as I've been shooting
with a Sony DSC-F717 for the last few years.  That camera has a much
smaller sensor (8.8x6.6mm).

alex