hasn't gained the knowledge of photography was pretty poor.  But with
good P&S cameras and mini labs, the ability for anyone to create a
passable snapshot has made them feel that the value of the item
(photo) isn't very high.  After all, all I did was press a button.  I
really didn't have to know anything or learn anything.

That is spot on!

Anyone can click and the technology will turn their action into something at least semi-presentable.

Most people who are looking at pictures are just looking at memories
or seeing recognizable subjects.  When they see something done by a
"pro", they may exclaim "Wow, that is great!"  But I don't think their
expectation is that high.  A few are, and they are paying good money
to get a quality job.  But many don't have high expectations or
budgets.

Very accurate observation, once again.

HOWEVER, having done a few weddings, you have an advantage over uncle Jon and aunt Flo. You know what works, what doesn't. You will avoid candelabras sticking from behind their heads, you will not shoot with the candle flame in the line of fire, you will not do many other things.

Usually P&S fire at wide angles. You've got them there, you will crop more tightly. And we present our proofs in 5x7 size. Put a "landscape photography" (ie wide angle, beautiful view and tiny people on it) printed in 4x6 format against nicely cropped 5x7 and you knock them out.

Additionally - it is not the camera that takes the picture - it is you! Both, my wife and I shoot photos. Quite often we photographed THE SAME THING, from the SAME POSITION, producing quite different effects. And after the wedding both of us , while looking at the prints, would say "aaaaaah! so, that's what you were doing". Even while shooting still life (bride's veil or shoes) the results were often significantly different. Therefore if you put someone inexperienced behind the camera, YES, they can produce a reasonable photo but the odds are against them. It would be like me trying to land a helicopter. The equipment is capable of performing the task, but I tell you, you would hate to be in the passenger seat of that chopper! ;-O

This is where they pay for your expertise, creativity and equipment.

Robert
[EMAIL PROTECTED]