Hello Boris,

Monday, March 15, 2004, 7:24:09 AM, you wrote:

BL> Hi!

BA>> http://ns.atn.ro/~attila/

BA>> OK, don't shoot me, there are 4 pictures rather big in size. I did an
BA>> interesting experiment with my lens, and these are the results. You
BA>> could also read the text, but it is not necessary, I'm just a newbie
BA>> in a need for a macro lens:)

BA>> I would like to hear some constructive criticism about the pictures.

BL> Ok then, here goes.

BL> I am sorry I am kinda late, but my "debt" to the list is getting
BL> smaller...
No problem with that, I can wait:) Your comments are appreciated
anytime.

BL> 1. Abstract with Marbles - nothing to say - it is just good. "Cute"
BL> says my wife who's standing beside me as I am typing this. I like the
BL> lines... And I like the little shadows...
That is my favourite one. Maybe because I like marbles... I had a hard
time arranging them in those nice lines, they tend to roll away
easily.

BL> 2. Marbles and Bearing Balls - well, does not say much to me though.
BL> It does not click but I don't know how to get it to click.
Just click on it, and you get the larger image. But that's a rather
weak composition I must admit, so maybe it doesn't even worth it.

BL> 3. Spades and Hearts - the best. Since the support you used to keep
BL> the cards up is not seen it is very much like an optical illusion
BL> shot. My wife asked me to show her the image again to make sure the
BL> cards do stand up. Well done.
Thanks. That was a funny idea of mine:) I used another card for
support. Maybe you can notice that on the large version, but you have
to look very hard at the edges. I'm glad it worked:)

BL> 4. Break! - the weakest one. Everything is in the middle and small. If
BL> my daughter were her, she'd say "nu-nu-nu" and shake her little finger
BL> at you <grin>...
I agree. It was shot mainly to test corner and center sharpness at
wider apertures. Doing all that work at f/16 gave me long exposures as
I should take reciprocity failure into account, but I don't know how
to do it properly. The tablecloth is actually the clearest white, but
it got some kind of drappish tint, what is more proeminent on the
prints than on the monitor. In this particular case I even like it,
but don't know how this may come out in general. I tried to use
on-camera flash to get shorter exposure times, but the results are
awful:( So for closeups f/16 is my lens's sweet spot, and I have to
live with it until I get a macro.

Thanks for your reply.

Attila