OK, I think I got caught up in somebody else's thinking here, and didn't
translate it into my own real-world use.

For me, I don't care about sending images direct to PC as I am quite
happy to write to card & download on a firewire reader or to my
flashtrax.

The only use for me of Remote Assistant is just that - remote
assisstance. Being able to set timer intervals and do extended
autobracketing.  In fact only really the first of those.  And I guess as
such I am not likely to be hamstrung by the download taking a ling time.

I still feel it should be an option to write direct to CF (if only
because it should have been simple to implement), but feel even more
strongly for people using it as you say - in order to write directly to
PC that not giving us USB 2 was a BIG mistake.  Maybe the ideal
compromise would be to use the card as a buffer - writing direct to that
and having a background process trickling the stuff down to the PC.  I
bet that wouldn't be easy to implement though...