Hi,

Thursday, March 18, 2004, 9:45:13 AM, Shel wrote:

> I'm working on a long term project to scan years worth of
> B&W negatives and also plan to use the scanner for E6
> transparencies, and, to a lesser extent, color neg.  I also
> intend to make larger than 8x10 prints and feel that the
> largest pixel count is important.

> I'm very close to deciding on a Nikon 4000ppi model (I can
> never recall the model number <sigh>).  Why did those of you
> who bought one, decide it was the way to go? And for those
> who bought something else, why that, or why not the Nikon?

> My choice of the Nikon is based on it being the only scanner
> I've used and that's affordable at this time, and that I've
> heard some questionable comments about other scanners.

I have a Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED, which I think is the same as the one
you're considering. I chose it because I wanted that resolution and
this appeared to be the best option at the time I bought it. I found
few if any negative comments about it while I was researching it. It
was chosen by a lot of labs and other people who depended on it to
generate money, which was a significant factor in my choice.

I haven't used it as much as I expected to, largely because I'm lazy
and I haven't fully got to grips with the technicalities of colour
management. However, it is easy to use and produces results I'm
satisfied with so far.

One word of advice I can offer is to use lint-free gloves when you put
a strip of film into the holder. It's rather a fiddly operation
getting it lined up properly and you run the risk of getting
paw-prints on the film unless you wear gloves.

I have an IT-8 slide which I use to set up the scanner profile. It was
difficult to find sensible information about how to do this with
VueScan, but I found a web-page in French with the information. I
intend to translate it into English and post it on my site sometime. If
you're interested I could get on with that.

--
Cheers,
 Bob