The difference between the M cameras and the *ist D is that there are vastly more buttons, screens, compartments, etc to cram into or onto the *ist D.

Then there is the problem of holding a small camera properly. I once owned a Minox (don't ask why!), and I certainly didn't think its size made it a nicer camera to use than the ME Super that I owned at the same time.

John