I've had my sights set on buying the 77mm Limited for
quite some time now.  After receiving my tax refund I
went out looking for one (through the internet) and
found one at Adorama.  It was used in EX+ condition so
I bit and purchased it.  It arrived today and upon
inspection it seemed that the lens has been dropped by
the previous owner (I'm assuming).

Or dropped by the seller... Packing was fine?

But then I can't believe the lens in this shape would qualify as an EX+ one for them.

The lens cap has a
big dent on it and the built-in hood also has a small
dent.  The thin black ring surrounding the glass is
not level anymore due to the impact.

That part is not cosmetic any more...

I inspected the
glass and it seems fine.  However there is a big speck
right smack in the middle.  It looks to me like dirt
but how in the world did it get there?

You mean deep inside the optics?

I attached the lens onto a PZ-1p and checked for
autofocus functions.  It seems to focus fine but I'm a
bit skeptical since it looks blurry to me.  The blurry
view might be attributed to the diopter but I checked
it out and it is still blurry.

Now comes the big question.  Should I return it and
get my money back?  If I keep the lens will the fact
that it was dropped have any impact (no pun intended)
on image quality (blurry view, focus control)?

From what you say, it seems that the lens will not give quality photography. What you see in your finder (with adjusted diopter) is mostly what you will get on film. Take a 12 exposures roll (of a brick wall, at f1.8 and 5.6, with a tripod and parallel to the wall plane, at different distances) and look at the prints and then at the negatives with a lupe. If some photos show a problem (right side is not as sharp as left side), send them with the camera.

How is Adorama on returns?

I don't know... But they have a good reputation.

 I'm afraid they might blame me
for the lens condition.  I'm being paranoid since this
has never happened to me before.

I thought you were saying it had happened before (return refused). I would not be paranoid as Adorama seems to have a good reputation. It might be good to call them tomorrow to say exactly what happened (you found the lens in that shape after opening the packet). The "big speck" is probably enough by itself for a return of an Ex+ lens AFAIK. Be polite, insinuate they might have send another 77mm lens by error (not intentionnally) as this one cannot qualify as an Ex+ lens.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Andre