On 31 Mar 2004, Frits [ISO-8859-1] Wüthrich wrote:
> I just ran a test and I can NOT confirm the USB2 speed for the *ist D
> connected to a PC.
> This is what I did:
> I connected the *ist D with my PC by means of the Pentax supplied USB
> cable, and copied all 15 RAW images that I had on the flash card to a
> folder on a drive of my PC.
> That took about 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
> Then I removed the flash card and put it in a USB2 6 in 1 card reader,
> and now using the same 15 images to copy to the same drive in another
> folder, I found a time of 1 minute and 2 seconds. So the reader was 3.5
> times faster.
> I have the firmware version 1.11 on my *ist D.

Having a USB 2.0 port in the camera doesn't mean that the camera is
going to be as fast as a USB 2.0 reader.  In particular the chipset
for managing the compact flash card might not be as fast as reading
as a USB 2.0 reader would be.

Your test shows that the camera did about 0.92mbps over the USB cable.
That is faster than most USB 1.1 readers, but I think still slower
than the USB 1.1 available bandwidth (1.1mbps, but I don't know
how much overhead is taken up by the system).

If you have a USB 1.1 hub and plug in a USB 2.0 device you should get
a popup from Windows XP which tells you that it woudl be faster to use
a USB 2.0 high speed port.  I haven't seen this popup with my
*ist D, and used to see it all the time with my DSC-F717, so I
think that the camera is USB 1.1.

alex