Unlike NASA, that is my course. I used to travel fast but heavy: two 1p bodies, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, FA 20-35, F 17-28, and a gaggle of primes (24, 31, 50). On my trip to Scandinavia last September, this rig caused me so much back pain that I knew I had to change.

Now I am trying out an Adorama Slinger. It has the *ist D, DA 16-45, SMC F 70-210, and 24, 31, and 50 primes. My last trip to California was much pleasanter just because this kit was so much lighter. The zooms are, of couse, slower, and the DA lenses are coming in as costly as limiteds. I think there is room to add the DA 14, but then the bag will be full. I may get one of Tamron's slightly larger versions of this kind of sling bag. I'm also hoping that there will be a DA 16/17/18/19 f2.0 prime to replace the FA 24, which just isn't wide enough on the *ist D. I'd like a DA 50-200 f4.0 to replace the 70-210. And I'd like to add the FA 77, if Pentax can manage to produce it again. That would require the slightly larger bag.

The slinger-type bag is harder to dig lenses out of. It is easier on the back, though, because it is narrow but deep. The weight is closer to the body. On a conventional bag, with my film kit, the weight is away from the body, making the effective weight even worse. The alternative was a backpack.

If I get a Flashtrax (or some such) I may even take this kit overseas. Travel will be so much easier. I may still need film cameras when I go to Mali, though, because electricity is either non-existent or unreliable.

So my new mantra is lighter, slower, more expensive.

Joe