Hey Gang,

A few weeks ago, my brother called me up asking for a recommendation on a
digital camera to use for snapshots and for shooting stuff to sell on ebay.
He insisted that it be extremely small. How small? He felt his Canon A40 was
too big. So naturally, I turned him onto the Optio S4 and he excitedly
bought it. He agreed to lend it to me for a couple of weeks. I used it today
while going on a 10K AVA walk in downtown San Antonio. Here are some of the
photos. Nothing to swoon over, I have to shoot quick or I'll be left behind.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=401012

Some impressions: 1) There isn't much control one can exact over this camera
in terms of exposure - just Program AE with some exposure compensation. Man
did I miss having aperture priority. Oddly enough, it gives you the exposure
data. Why? I dunno. Sure there's exposure compensation but quite frankly, I
think Pentax was out to taunt the users of this camera <g>. 2) Autofocus is
pretty quick but can be hit or miss. I had several shots that were discarded
because they were soft. 3) I was not very pleased with the lens. There's
quite a bit of distortion at the wide end. Flare control seems pretty poor
and there was noticeable purple fringing from time to time. In macro mode,
the corner can be really soft. It was really noticeable in this photo:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2397442&size=lg

The corners seem to have...distortion and blur at the same time. Not too
pleasing, especially when I printed it.

4) It's extremely difficult to get shallow depth of field. 5) Shot to shot
time is pretty respectable and it turns on and off pretty quick. 6) The LCD
monitor was not very easy to read in daylight. 7) The On/Off button is way
too close to the shutter release. Every now and then, I found myself turning
it off instead of shooting. 8) The four way control button is not very easy
to use. 9) Overall, exposure was pretty good. 10) Women love this camera.
They ooh and ahh at the very sight of it <g>.

I short, it's a neat little camera to use for vacation snaps. It's
incredibly portable. Battery life is decent. It operates quickly and
quietly. For more serious photographic ventures, this one's best left at
home.

Mark