Paul

But if its not full frame, then the noise will be alot higher (but you'll also probably get ISO 50). Its hard to say whether you can make a full frame CCD for the price needed to get a sub $1000 full frame dslr. Something fundamental will have to change. Whereas per transistor costs have been steadily going down for decades, actual chip real estate costs (sq mm of silicon) have not gone down that much. I.e. no matter how many transistors per sq mm you can fit, the cost of that sq mm doesnt change much. In every market except digital cameras, smaller is better because smaller is cheaper.

What I would like to see is better utilization of surface area. Right now, I think its around 70% photosite, 30% other, such as routing. If the chip industry could get closer to 100% surface coverage through some type of 3D technology, then you can get your 10Mp without much loss, if any, of noise characteristics. Plus you could eliminate the nasty microlenses in front of the CCD that are used to create closer to an effective 100% surface coverage today.

On Jun 3, 2004, at 8:24 PM, Herb Chong wrote:

weather resistant body at least and at least a few lenses, 5fps or higher
frame rate with at least 10 pictures on the fly, and more megapixels. 6
megapixels is fine for magazine work but more is always better, other things
being equal. if Pentax is going to deliver a $5K body, it will have to
deliver the goods. if they aren't, then i will find a $5K body that will.
the 1D Mk2 is pretty close to what i need. if Pentax doesn't have a $5K body
in the wings and it's just a rumor, then the frame rate and megapixels will
be the main reasons i go elsewhere. will i keep and shoot Pentax? i won't
abandon the *istD but it will see a lot less use. i have 4 film bodies i
haven't used since i got my *istD. some of them will have to go.

Herb....
----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 9:36 AM
Subject: big glass and converters

Just out of curiousity, what's not credible about the *istD? I know a lot
of pros using Nikon D100s or Canon 10Ds, both of which are very similar
featurewise. The feature that I find the *istD lacking most for my style
of pro work is a "motor drive", and aside from the LX, MX, and PZ-1P
Pentax has never catered to serious motor drive users.