I concur. The "SMC PENTAX-A 70-210/4" has been a very sharp and good performer overall for me. I've not purchased the 80-200 2.8 because this lens is so good that its hard to justify the expense and size for just one more stop and probably marginal sharpness improvement.

rg

Alan Chan wrote:

I had the "SMC PENTAX-A 70-210/4" which I think is a great "zoom" lens. I did some outdoor test near infinity against the 3rd generation AF Nikkor 80-200/2.8 few years ago. To my surprised, their sharpness were so close I thought I did something wrong (Nikkor was sharper, but not by much). I even used one of those Pentax vibrators like "Super A" for trhe test, and Nikon F90X. I also owned the Nikkor AF 70-210/4-5.6D and did some tests against the Pentax too between 2-3 metres with flash. The Nikkor was way softer and inferior than the Pentax at all focal lengths and apertures (though the Nikkor had more pleasing colour). It was like the Nikkor required 3 stops difference to achieve the same level of sharpness as the Pentax did. Since there are non-SMC variants which are similar to the "SMC PENTAX-A 70-210/4", I suspect photdo mixed them up and thought it was "SMC PENTAX-A 70-210/4". Afterall, there is no "SMC PENTAX-A 70-200/4" as they suggested. If the dog lens like Nikkor AF 70-210/4-5.6D could achieve 2.8, no way the Pentax got 2.2 only. They must make some mistake along the way. Simply as that.

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

I have never owned a A70-210/4 but I notice everyone seems to have agood
opinion of it even though www.photodo.com gives it only a grade 2.2. By
comparison the F 70-210/4-5.6 is given a rating of 3.4. Could it be that
the A70-210/4 was good for its time but has been eclipsed by better
technology?

MSN Premium: Up to 11 personalized e-mail addresses and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines