Well when you press the green button, the aperture would stop down to its mechanical setting, a meter reading would be taken, which would allow the system to calculate the aperture based on the current ISO setting and the ratio of the EVs stopped down and wide open. Now you "save" the value of the aperture and use that virtual setting everytime you take a new picture, hence a new EV reading (note wide open) so with the EV ratio can't it be used to estimate what the speed will be when the pic is taken stopped down?

The advantage is that you only have to press the green button when you change the aperture, not everytime the light changes. Like real Aperture priority. Please feel free to tell me where the flaw is, because I'm just speculating. :)

rg

Steve Jolly wrote:

How would the "simple calculation" to estimate the aperture work? And what would be the advantage of the method over the *ist-D's current support for pre-A-series lenses?

Gonz wrote:

I proposed this deep in another thread, but the idea might be feasible as a firmware fix. All you photo wizards out there please shoot holes in this:

What might be nice is if they had a "smart" AE mode for K & M lenses.

 > The way this might work would be that setting the camera to AE mode
 > would allow you to press the green button to get a meter reading
 > AND to estimate the aperture setting you are using by doing a simple
 > calculation, it would continue to use this saved aperture setting
 > until you pressed the green button again, which you would need
 > to do if you manually changed the aperture.  This way, it could
 > theoretically meter with the aperture wide open using the estimated

aperture setting plus the current light reading and set the speed