Yes, you do have to compensate if taking geometry into account.
This fellow did it like I mentioned before, this is an extreme example:

http://tinyurl.com/6zmnj

He has many other images in his gallery that are very impressive.

rg

John C. O'Connell wrote:

If you pan the camera to take the sequence of photos
to be stitched later, isnt the fact that the camera
back is panning going to give you a curved "plane"
of focus or in the case of vertical as well as
horizontal panning, give you a spherical "plane"
of focus?

I would think this could be masked with small apertures
to gain depth of field, but what about geometry?
I don't see how you could do architecture via stitching.
Another thing, in order to get correct geometric
projection, wouldn't you need to mount the camera
such that the panning axis is at the nodal point
of the lens instead of the usual tripod mount which
is further back near the focal plane?
JCO