I'll make a big guess that Rob took the shot at "Sculpture By The Sea" at
Bondi Beach.  If that's the case, the seaside light (with lots of
backscatter from the sand and surf) could give this lighting quality which
looks a little like fill flash.  Looking at the sky it's a patchy
near-overcast that can also give an effect like open cloudy day shadows but
with sunny highlights.  We often see this in Sydney.  Or Rob might have
savagely bent the curves to lighten up the shadows.

But I do agree that it looks almost unnatural, a little like an Ilford XP2
shot in its tonality though I'm sure Rob would have used his *istD   The
sharpness isn't up to his usual high standard.

regards,
Anthony Farr