Darryn,

I have an A28/2.8 which acted the same just before it let go completely.
There are 2 small leaf springs under the aperture ring which lock you into
the A setting.  They come loose from their mounts and gum up the works.

If you are handy and careful, you can disassemble/remove the aperture ring
and reset the springs in place (glue or otherwise).  Watch out for a little
ball bearing that is spring loaded under the ring.  It makes the 'click' in
the click stops on the lens and is easily lost.

Sounds like you need a repair...

Regards,  Bob S.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I have a querey regarding my A50/1.7 lens. The aperture ring moves OK
between
 in the 1.7 - 5.6 range, however once it gets to f8 it gets very sticky, and
I have
 to push that little button designed to let the ring get to the "A" position,
in
 order to keep it moving beyond f8. Even then I have to force it "a little".
Has
 anyone had similar problems?  >>