Some may recall that I made a very successful in-camera double-exposure of a moon into a mountainous landscape a couple of months back. In retrospect, it seems that more luck than knowledge was involved. By a factor of ten, at least.

A recent adventure with a poppy demonstrated that luck doesn't help much in the long run. :-)

Today i did a series of double-exposures, similar to the one of the poppy, but under more controlled conditions. One part-exposure in focus (IF), and one part out of focus (OOF). I varied the relative exposures of each part between -0 and -2 stops.

http://www.oksne.net/tests/dbls/index.html

The lens was FA 100/2.8 macro. The IF exposures were done at f/32, the OOF at f/2.8. White balance was set to auto, and ISO at 200. I worked with a tripod this time. The raw conversion is done with the QuickProof function of PhaseOne C1 Raw v3.6, and no attempts were made to change any parameters from the camera. The background is dark grey to the eye, and the light was clear blue evening sky.

There are a few conclusions and at least a few oddities.

One conclusion is that the multi-exposure function in *istD does not recalculate exposure based on the number of part-exposures involved. Cameras like the Z-1/Z-1p subtracted a certain EV value to each exposure based on the total number. The *istD, however, does not.

The EXIF data recorded are only from the last part-exposure.

One oddity is the IF: -1 OOF: -2 picture, that has a colour balance noticeably different from all the others, even though the whitebalance reports to the same number as do all the other shots. Light was almost constant during my session, too, so this one beats me...

This test is probably only scratching the surface of a big issue. Maybe it's easier to control it in Photoshop after all...:-)

Jostein