I was checking out my new D-FA 100mm macro today
and noticed some unexpected behaviour.

While checking DOF, I noticed it did not seem to work unless
the lens was set to 'A'. Of course I would usually like to use
the lens in AV mode, preselecting the aperture.

Playing arround a bit, I found the DOF check only closes the aperture when either the lens is set to 'A', or the body is set to 'M'.

This is normal behavior as expected with both the *ist D and DS bodies. The aperture control is designed to be driven from the body, not the aperture ring, so the normal operation of the D-FA lens, and all A/F/FA/DA lenses as well, is to set the aperture ring on the lens to the "A" position then use the thumbwheel to control the aperture setting. If the lens' aperture ring is moved off the A position, the body will not stop the lens down in any mode other than Manual exposure mode, and then (on the DS) only if the "Aperture Ring Use" custom function is set to "Permitted".

So ... To achieve what you want you set the lens to the A position, set Av mode, and then set the aperture on the body to whatever you desire. You'll have both DoF preview and Av exposure functionality.

Godfrey