On Aug 12, 2005, at 10:02 AM, Arjuna Anandanatha wrote:

ACDSee is available in a Mac OS X version. I tried it and found it
somewhat lacking. iView MediaPro is what I recommend for its
functionality, see http://www.iview-multimedia.com for full details.
You need the Pro version if you want to be able to view RAW files.

Yes, on Mac U may use iPhoto (a part of iLife package from Apple) and iView Media Pro.

iPhoto works well for some things, but a) does not support PEF format, and b) is not intended for high volume workloads. It also has no capability to deal with off-line archives of image files.

I've tried several applications. The ones that work well for professional level photo catalog management are Extensis Portfolio and iView MediaPro, of the ones I've experimented with. I prefer iView MediaPro.

BTW there is a very useful Adobe Bridge coming in CS2.

CS2 was released a month or three ago and Adobe Bridge is part of the package. A new update of Adobe Bridge, v1.0.2, is now available for download that improves performance.

Adobe Bridge is more of a live viewer-adjunct to Photoshop CS2 and RAW workflow. I find it works well (now...) when used as that labeling implies, but it does not replace or achieve iView's primary use as a standalone image catalog. Overall I use iView about 100x more than I use Bridge for image searching, browsing, sorting, etc.

Godfrey