I really need to improve my titles but I tend to fill out my PAW forms in a hurry :) Rather than look through my archive for something nice to scan, I thought I'd post something recent for once.

A couple of weeks ago I loaded up the 6x7 and took it out for a bit of exercise. I'd just cobbled up a panoramic viewfinder mask(*) and wanted to try it out, but about half of my photos ended up being full- frame.

http://www.bluemoon.net.nz/photo/printsdb/view.php?print_id=98&t=PAW

I've cropped it a little: in the original there is about 10% extra on both the top and the right.

I took this on an expired roll of Reala because I was carrying a bare minimum of gear, choosing to bring the metered prism instead of the external spot meter. I haven't used the metered prism much and I didn't want to risk ruining slides. The downside is that I hate scanning negs.

Comments are welcome, as long as they're about the photo and not the web page which I already know needs work. Once I've finished my client's database project, that's when I'll work on my own website :)

Cheers,

- Dave

(*) The mask is just a couple of lines drawn on a piece of mylar transparency. I made this one after I found that my first attempt, based on some plastic from an old CD jewel case, would only work with the waist-level finder as the bottom of the prism finder protrudes into the focussing screen assembly. The piece of mylar is no good with the waist-level finder as there's nothing to hold it in place. Nevermind, I'd rather carry two masks than draw new lines on my wonderful grid screen.

BTW the reason why I made the mask is because my scanner can scan the central 25mm-wide section of a 6x9 slide at 4800ppi optical, instead of 3200ppi for the full frame. The viewfinder mask allows me to compose with this in mind. I've scanned a couple of my old panoramas like this and the results were fantastic when printed on roll paper.