But even if all the local bookstores are parts of chains, there is still a
good argument for buying from them rather from Amazon when you have the
chance. And that is that it keeps a lot of the money local, in the wages of
the staff, brings in ancillary work, such as cleaning, from the local area,
keeps another shop open on a high street, means you can talk to often
knowledgeable people, and means that you are actually dealing with people.

All is not doom, of course. There has been a boom in book-buying in recent
years, and Amazon has helped to fuel it as well as doing a lot of other good
things.

--
Cheers,
 Bob