Cotty wrote:

On 16/8/05, Toralf Lund, discombobulated, unleashed:

Personally I dislike the surveillance cameras that are popping up all over the place. I think they represent a restriction of my personal freedom as well as a way for authorities to give the public a false sense of security, and I object to both. However, if a hobby photographers/artist/newsreporter wants to take my picture in public, I don't object one bit. I guess I prefer being seen by Little Brother, if you know what I mean...

Before 7/7 in London I would have tended to agree, but the speed with
which the bombers were identified and caught was partly a result of CCTV
images.

Yes. The problem, however, is that the cameras did nothing to preventing them from placing the bombs in the first place.

I've decided that the threat to life from mass murderers
outweighs the personal freedom issue. I'm happy with it.
Another thing is that you mass murderers isn't really what you should fear most. It is actually a lot more likely that someone you know will kill you in your own home...

- Toralf